Part Three: The Lips
One of the biggest makeup challenges is choosing the right lip color. Lipstick is the finishing touch of your makeup, so it's definitely a step you'll want to get right. Some women of trying to match their lipstick to coordinate with their outfit. Bad idea! Choosing a lipstick that complements your skin tone will not only be more flattering, it will save you money since you won't need to buy dozens of different shades.
So,choose a color that complements the natural shade of your lips and skin. Here's some thoughts:
- The best shade is the one that still looks great even if you're wearing no other makeup. This is a color that will always work for you.
- If your skin tone is warm, look for browns, reds, and other warm shades. If your skin tone is cool, look for plums, wines, and pinks.
- Use your lipstick color choice to downplay whatever you might not like about your skin tone. For example, if you have gray undereye circles, a lipstick shade with blue undertones will only draw attention to that. Likewise, if redness or blotchiness on your face is a problem than wearing a red hued lipstick may not be a good idea.
- Look for a long-lasting brand. The product will last longer if you don't need to reapply 10 times a day. And this will save you money.
- I recommend finding two shades of lipstick that you absolutely love. A lighter one for daytime and a darker one for night. When you find a shade that really flatters you, don't mess with success. You don't need a whole palette of lip colors. You just need a couple that really work.
- Make sure you own a wonderful lip gloss that you love for those days when you just want a subtle sheen.