Friday, June 26, 2009

A Little More About My Jewelry

I recently devoted a post to explaining why I chose my business name. In this post, I'd like to share a little about how I design my jewelry.

As you know, my shop takes its name from one of the most intriguing elements in nature. I have always been fascinated by the intricate details and multifaceted complexity of snowflakes. My approach to jewelry is likewise multifaceted.

I use a wide variety of materials and techniques in my work:
  • gemstones
  • pearls
  • glass beads
  • wood beads
  • polymer clay
  • recycled paper
  • wire wrapping
I feel that this mixed media approach gives me a broader range of possibilities to spark my creative muse. My goal is to create jewelry that is lush and colorful with an eclectic mixture of contrasting textures and details.

There is also a bit of a wabi-sabi feel to what I create. This term is used to describe the beauty of things that are flawed and imperfect. (Wabi-sabi does have a much deeper spiritual connotation as well, but I am referring to it merely as a principle in design.) I love to create using freshwater pearls with slight asymmetry and handcut gemstones that are irregular in shape. My jewelry designs reflect an appreciation for raw natural beauty.

I am a self-taught jewelry artist and I am always learning, always seeking to improve. I would love to hear your thoughts, opinions or constructive criticism, so please feel free to share them with me at any time.

1 comment:

  1. I just love the piece you chose for your profile photo!! GREAT!

    ReplyDelete